Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Job Chapter 29



Job 29:1-2 
Moreover Job continued his parable, and said, Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me;


  • When we go through difficult situations, we reminisce about the days of old.
  • This was not that long ago for Job, and he was truly blessed
  • He was looking back; we should look forward to the days like that which are future for us


Job 29:3 
When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness;


  • Either one of three things:
    • He is now walking in darkness, without the light of the LORD
    • He was walking with darkness all around him then, with the light of the LORD
    • Both are true
Psalm 119:105
NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. 



    Job 29:4 
    As I was in the days of my youth, when the secret of God was upon my tabernacle;


    • Job apparently knew God from an early age
    • In the final analysis, it is ONLY God who can have secrets
    • One of His secrets was the Gospel, only always hidden from all who will not believe, and it is so today.
    God's Secret(s):

    _____________________________

    Deuteronomy 29:29

    The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. 



    Job 11:6 
    And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth. 

    Job 15:8
    Hast thou heard the secret of God? and dost thou restrain wisdom to thyself?



    Psalm 25:14
    The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant. 




    Psalm 27:5 
    For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.



    Psalm 31:20
    Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.



    Psalm 81:7
    Thou calledst in trouble, and I delivered thee; I answered thee in the secret place of thunder: I proved thee at the waters of Meribah. Selah. 


    Psalm 91:1 
    He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

    Proverbs 3:32 
    For the froward is abomination to the LORD: but his secret is with the righteous.


    Isaiah 45:3
    And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.


    Isaiah 48:16 
    Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

    Daniel 2:22
    He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.

    Daniel 2:28 
    But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these;

    Daniel 2:29
    As for thee, O king, thy thoughts came into thy mind upon thy bed, what should come to pass hereafter: and he that revealeth secrets maketh known to thee what shall come to pass.

    Amos 3:7 
    Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

    Matthew 13:35 
    That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

    Romans 16:25
    Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,


    ______________________


    Job 29:5 
    When the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were about me;
    • God and family
    Job 29:6 
    When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil; 
    • There was so much wealth in Job's possession that he had extra milk, dripping down as butter out the door and down the stoop of his house.
    Job 29:7 
    When I went out to the gate through the city, when I prepared my seat in the street!
    • Job was a leader in the land of Uz, either politically powerful due to his wealth, or spiritual, publicly departing godly wisdom. Or both.

    This would have been the reason for both public scrutiny and public respect

    (Job 1:1 [KJV])
    There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

    Job 29:8 
    The young men saw me, and hid themselves: and the aged arose, and stood up.
    • Job was feared by the hooligans of his day and respected by the aged, probably for the same reason.
    Job 29:9-10 
    The princes refrained talking, and laid their hand on their mouth. The nobles held their peace, and their tongue cleaved to the roof of their mouth.
    • When royalty is silenced as you go by, then that is something!
    Job 29:11 
    When the ear heard me, then it blessed me; and when the eye saw me, it gave witness to me:
    • Job righteously and wisely judged matters of the heart, apparently for many people
    Job 29:12 
    Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him.
    • Job provided assistance to those who needed it.
    Job 29:13 
    The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me: and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy.
    • Job was a comfort to those widows in his influence
    • The only way for a widow to sing for joy is the joy of the LORD in such as time of need.
    Job 29:14 
    I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem.
    • Job knew tat he was saved and that one day he would see God

    (Job 19:25-26 [KJV])
    For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:


    (Psalm 132:9 [KJV])
    Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let thy saints shout for joy.


    (Isaiah 61:10 [KJV])
    I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

    (Revelation 19:7-8 [KJV])
    Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.  And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.


    Job 29:15 
    I was eyes to the blind, and feet was I to the lame.
    • We can be both physical eyes and spiritual ones for the blind physically and the spiritually blind.
    Job 29:16 
    I was a father to the poor: and the cause which I knew not I searched out.
    • Job sought to understand the situation of those who were unjustly treated financially.
    Job 29:17 
    And I brake the jaws of the wicked, and plucked the spoil out of his teeth. 
    • Hopefully, Job is being figurative here, since this seems out of character for him!
    Job 29:18 
    Then I said, I shall die in my nest, and I shall multiply my days as the sand.
    • Job wanted to live to a ripe old age and die of natural causes, most likely in his bed.
    Job 29:19 
    My root was spread out by the waters, and the dew lay all night upon my branch.
    • A tree near water is massive, shady, shelter, beautiful, fruitful, protective, a blessing.  
    • The root system of any tree determines the health of it
    Job 29:20 
    My glory was fresh in me, and my bow was renewed in my hand.
    • This is either a small branch, tender, green or an archer's bow of the same
    Job 29:21 
    Unto me men gave ear, and waited, and kept silence at my counsel.
    • Job was the original E.F. Hutton
    Job 29:22 
    After my words they spake not again; and my speech dropped upon them.
    • Job's answer in judgment and in departing wisdom was so good, it was final.
    Job 29:23 
    And they waited for me as for the rain; and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain.
    • Lacking wisdom is like having a drought
    • Thoughts, judgment wither until the rains come
    Job 29:24 
    If I laughed on them, they believed it not; and the light of my countenance they cast not down.
    • Apparently they thought that he was joking when he was joking, since he was so serious, wise. sage
    Job 29:25 
    I chose out their way, and sat chief, and dwelt as a king in the army, as one that comforteth the mourners. 
    • His place was above the normal order of things, as a judge where he lived among men.