Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Book of Job, Chapters 17-21



Job Chapter 17

(Job 17:1 [KJV])
My breath is corrupt, my days are extinct, the graves are ready for me.
  • His flesh is grave-ready, he is prepared for death
  • In his eyes, his time is very short now.
  • Funny thing is, he lived for a very long time after this!
________________________________________________
(Job 7:6 [KJV])
My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope.
(Job 42:16-17 [KJV])
After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons' sons, even four generations. So Job died, being old and full of days.
___________________________________________
(Job 17:2 [KJV])
Are there not mockers with me? and doth not mine eye continue in their provocation?
  • Job again is pointing out their behavior, as plainly visible to his eyes.
(Job 17:3 [KJV])
Lay down now, put me in a surety with thee; who is he that will strike hands with me?
  • He offers the olive branch to them, to end this madness of their mocking.
  • By now, most people would have gone away from these clowns.
  • This is "the patience of Job"
___________________________________________
(James 5:11 [KJV])
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.
___________________________________________
(Job 17:4 [KJV])
For thou hast hid their heart from understanding: therefore shalt thou not exalt them.
  • Returning to God, he shows their issue-they do not know God and so are blinded
  • The only ones who are exalted are the humble, which eliminates his friends.
___________________________________________
(Isaiah 6:10 [KJV])
Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
(Jeremiah 5:21 [KJV])
Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:
(Acts 28:26-27 [KJV])
Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:  For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
__________________________________________________
(Job 17:5 [KJV])
He that speaketh flattery to his friends, even the eyes of his children shall fail.
  • How to shorten the lives of your progeny..........be a phony flatterer.
(Job 17:6 [KJV])
He hath made me also a byword of the people; and aforetime I was as a tabret.
  • Job is silent now, as compared to his life being like a drumbeat
  • IOW, the drumbeats have stopped
(Job 17:7 [KJV])
Mine eye also is dim by reason of sorrow, and all my members are as a shadow.
  • The shadow of death is now visibly affecting him.
(Job 17:8 [KJV])
Upright men shall be astonied at this, and the innocent shall stir up himself against the hypocrite.
  • The behavior of his friends will amaze future generations, and encourage them to speak out against hypocrisy.

(Job 17:9 [KJV])
The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.
  • They shall not be moved
______________________________________
(Proverbs 12:3 [KJV])
A man shall not be established by wickedness: but the root of the righteous shall not be moved.
(Psalm 16:8 [KJV])
I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
(Psalm 21:7 [KJV])
For the king trusteth in the LORD, and through the mercy of the most High he shall not be moved.
(Psalm 62:6 [KJV])
He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
(Ps 112:6 [KJV])
Surely he (a good man) shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.
_____________________________________________
(Job 17:10 [KJV])
But as for you all, do ye return, and come now: for I cannot find one wise man among you.
  • Out of three friends, not one is wise. This is a sad statement about his friends.
(Job 17:11 [KJV])
My days are past, my purposes are broken off, even the thoughts of my heart. They change the night into day: the light is short because of darkness.  If I wait, the grave is mine house: I have made my bed in the darkness.  I have said to corruption, Thou art my father: to the worm, Thou art my mother, and my sister.
  • He again states that he has no reason to live.
  • They days of his life are shorter and shorter
  • Only the grave awaits Job now; life for him is over.
  • The decay and consumption by scavengers is the near future to Job
(Job 17:15 [KJV])
And where is now my hope? as for my hope, who shall see it?
  • A stumbling of faith for a moment, perhaps reflecting on this life, his life.
(Job 17:16 [KJV])
They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust.
  • The lot is the same for the hopeful and the hopeless, a hole in the ground, the grave.
Job Chapter 18
(Job 18:1 [KJV])
Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
  • It is amazing that these "friends" are still around, being endured by Job
  • This is especially so since Job has let them have it so many times.
(Job 18:2 [KJV])
How long will it be ere ye make an end of words? mark, and afterwards we will speak.
  • Translation: We do not want to hear what you are saying
(Job 18:3 [KJV])
Wherefore are we counted as beasts, and reputed vile in your sight?
  • Job has explained this to them already, which means he does not get it
(Job 18:4 [KJV])
He teareth himself in his anger: shall the earth be forsaken for thee? and shall the rock be removed out of his place?
  • Now Bildad is exaggerating. He thinks Job wants the world.
(Job 18:5-7 [KJV])
Yea, the light of the wicked shall be put out, and the spark of his fire shall not shine.   The light shall be dark in his tabernacle, and his candle shall be put out with him. The steps of his strength shall be straitened, and his own counsel shall cast him down.
  • A lie about Job. His light will never, ever go out, spiritually.  Though it goes out physically at death
  • Shows the lack of spiritual knowledge from Bildad about God.
  • Again, a truth spoken, but not applicable to Job-more applicable to Bildad!
_____________________________________________
(Proverbs 25:11 [KJV])
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
_____________________________________________



(Job 18:8-10 [KJV])
For he is cast into a net by his own feet, and he walketh upon a snare. The gin shall take him by the heel, and the robber shall prevail against him. The snare is laid for him in the ground, and a trap for him in the way.
  • Bildad  misunderstands and therefore misinterprets why this is happening to Job
  • Job was not snared or entrapped by anyone. This happened according to God's will, through the workings of the enemy
  • While Job was taken by surprise by his calamities, that is not because of any missteps
(Job 18:11 [KJV])
Terrors shall make him afraid on every side, and shall drive him to his feet.
  • The wicked are always in sudden fear or terror, but this is not applicable to Job.
_____________________________________________
(Proverbs 3:25 [KJV])
Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh.
_____________________________________________
(Job 18:12 [KJV])
His strength shall be hungerbitten, and destruction shall be ready at his side.
  • Like being bitten by a rabid animal
  • God is in charge of Job's destruction, and it never came in this calamity
(Job 18:13 [KJV])
It shall devour the strength of his skin: even the firstborn of death shall devour his strength.
  • This is sorta an exaggeration by Bildad, since often the wicked prosper.
  • But for those which reap in this life of their wickedness, then yes they become weak and sickly
(Job 18:14 [KJV])
His confidence shall be rooted out of his tabernacle, and it shall bring him to the king of terrors.
  • People are always going to worship in their own tabernacle, with deep pride
  • To the wicked, the King of Kings will certainly be the King of Terrors after death!
(Job 18:15 [KJV])
It shall dwell in his tabernacle, because it is none of his: brimstone shall be scattered upon his habitation.
  • Jesus will be Glorified even by the wicked one day.

________________________________________________
(Romans 14:11 [KJV])
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

(Isaiah 45:23 [KJV])
I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
(Philippians 2:10-11 [KJV])
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
_____________________________________________________
(Job 18:16 [KJV])
His roots shall be dried up beneath, and above shall his branch be cut off.
  • A withered tree, top to bottom
  • Even an attempt to prune it?
(Job 18:17 [KJV])
His remembrance shall perish from the earth, and he shall have no name in the street.
  • When the wicked die, there is no remembrance of them
_____________________________________________________
(Ecclesiastes 2:16 [KJV])
For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.
_______________________________________________________________
(Job 18:18 [KJV])
He shall be driven from light into darkness, and chased out of the world.
  • The only light the wicked shall ever see is in this life. Once dead, only darkness forever awaits
____________________________________________________
(Jude 1:13 [KJV])
Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
______________________________________________________________
(Job 18:19 [KJV])
He shall neither have son nor nephew among his people, nor any remaining in his dwellings.
  • Often the wicked die young, leaving no progeny
  • No nephew means the siblings are just as wicked (a family affair)
(Job 18:20 [KJV])
They that come after him shall be astonied at his day, as they that went before were affrighted.
  • Studying the life of the wicked often is shocking, to see the depths of one's evil.
(Job 18:21 [KJV])
Surely such are the dwellings of the wicked, and this is the place of him that knoweth not God.
  • All of these things come upon the wicked.
  • The wicked is defined as he who does not know God
  • Also is not known of Him.
_______________________________________________
(1 Corinthians 8:3 [KJV])
But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
(Galatians 4:9 [KJV])
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
____________________________________________________
Job Chapter 19
This chapter is where Job is really laying out the reaction of those around him who are supposed to try and           encourage and comfort him. These include
  • Closest relatives (his wife)
  • His "friends" (Eliphaz, Zophar, Bildad)
  • His "closest" friends (presumably others, if not the Three Stooges
  • His servants
  • Neighborhood kids
  • Pretty much everyone in his world.

(Job 19:1-2 [KJV])
Then Job answered and said, How long will ye vex my soul, and break me in pieces with words?
  • Words cut-the Bible speaks all about this from cover to cover
  • They cut deep, the cut to sever and dismember a person
  • These types of words are also deliberate, as the attack with the sword is
(Job 19:3 [KJV])
These ten times have ye reproached me: ye are not ashamed that ye make yourselves strange to me.
  • His friends have mocked him continuously with impudence, shamelessly
  • This is because mockers have no shame
(Job 19:4 [KJV])
And be it indeed that I have erred, mine error remaineth with myself.
  • "This is between me and God"........because they have excluded themselves by reason of no power of reasoning.
  • Job has rightly pointed out that he has done nothing to them at all.
(Job 19:5-6 [KJV])
If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, and plead against me my reproach:
Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net.
  • They cannot accuse him before God, only before man (themselves, really)
  • They cannot overpower God's grace to him, which makes him innocent.
(Job 19:7 [KJV])
Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgment.
  • In the people, worldly realm, the cry of the innocent is rarely heard
  • In the realm of Job, that includes....Zophar, Eliphaz and Bildad-deaf and improperly judging him.
(Job 19:8 [KJV])
He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths.
  • The enemy has Job penned in
  • The darkness is not from God, but Job's "friends" and the enemy
(Job 19:9 [KJV])
He hath stripped me of my glory, and taken the crown from my head.
  • Perhaps in a fit of pride, Job thinks that he was like royalty and now has been abased, dethroned
(Job 19:10-13 [KJV])
He hath destroyed me on every side, and I am gone: and mine hope hath he removed like a tree. He hath also kindled his wrath against me, and he counteth me unto him as one of his enemies. His troops come together, and raise up their way against me, and encamp round about my tabernacle. He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me.
  • Job's "friends" have so affected him that he thinks God is now his enemy
  • This is the power of the tongue and the flesh
    • The tongue in regards to his friends
    • The flesh in regards to Job's weakness
  • Can we say we would do any better?
  • Most likely no believer will ever have to face what Job faced.
    • The harshest of trials and persecution by his "friends"
    • We have this written how this all played out; he did not-he lived it
    • We are therefore supposed to learn from this and not react like Job did
____________________________________________

(1 Corinthians 10:11 [KJV])
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

(Hebrews 12:1-3 [KJV])
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
_____________________________________________________

(Job 19:14 [KJV])
My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me.
  • Job here speaks of his wife and, of course, Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar
  • Then said his wife............."curse God and die"
_________________________________
(Job 2:9-10 [KJV])
Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
____________________________________
(Job 19:15 [KJV])
They that dwell in mine house, and my maids, count me for a stranger: I am an alien in their sight.
  • The first time that others who are left (or replacements) are mentioned
  • Even these are against Job!
(Job 19:16 [KJV])
I called my servant, and he gave me no answer; I intreated him with my mouth.
  • This is bad. Even his hired servants will not work for him, even for pay!
(Job 19:17 [KJV])
My breath is strange to my wife, though I intreated for the children's sake of mine own body.
  • His wife will not touch him, and he is pleading with her
  • He is asking for nothing else than "for the sake of the kids, honey!"
(Job 19:18 [KJV])
Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake against me.
  • Job lost all of his own kids, so...
  • Now the neighborhood kids have hate and backbite him
(Job 19:19 [KJV])
All my inward friends abhorred me: and they whom I loved are turned against me.
  • These inward friends, the closest, are the very ones you need the most in this time of trial
  • They did not just reject him, they "abhorred" him
  • He loved them; they did not return the love, especially when needed
  • At this time it is good to remember who is our friend:
_______________________________________
(Exodus 33:11 [KJV])
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
(Proverbs 17:17 [KJV])
A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
(Proverbs 18:24 [KJV])
A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
(Luke 12:4 [KJV])
And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
(John 11:11 [KJV])
These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
(John 15:13 [KJV])
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
(John 15:14 [KJV])
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
(John 15:15 [KJV])
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
(James 2:23 [KJV])
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
(Zechariah 13:6 [KJV])
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
_______________________________________
(Job 19:20 [KJV])
My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth.
·        Meaning that Job narrowly escaped catastrophe
·        His teeth were also the only place he had no boils!
__________________________________________
The expression derives from the fact that there is no skin on the teeth (one of the few parts of the body) (Fingernails and toe nails being the others)and
so to IN THE FULL EXPRESSION 'Escape by the skin of ones teeth' means to avoid a catastrophy by the very smallest margin.

Meaning
Narrowly; barely. Usually used in regard to a narrow escape from a disaster.
Origin
The phrase first appears in English in the Geneva Bible, 1560, in Job 19:20, which provides a literal translation of the original Hebrew:
"I haue escaped with the skinne of my tethe."
Teeth don't have skin, of course, so the writer may have been alluding to the teeth's surface or simply to a notional minute measure - something that might now be referred to, with less poetic imagery than the biblical version, as 'as small as the hairs on a gnat's bollock'.
__________________________________________
(Job 19:21 [KJV])
Have pity upon me, have pity upon me, O ye my friends; for the hand of God hath touched me.
  • After having told them how horrible they have been, Job is reduced to begging for them to at least have some pity!
(Job 19:22 [KJV])
Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh?
  • This could mean that they have seen his boils and that is not enough to stop their barrage. In other words, the sight of him ought to be enough
  • Persecuting as God does means Job is feeling persecuted spiritually, not just physically.
(Job 19:23 [KJV])
Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
  • Little does Job know....
  • Job would want this to be so, in order that
    • Many more would know of his plight in the future
    • It would comfort them and get them through it
    • He may realize how unique his situation is
(Job 19:24 [KJV])
That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
  • This is even more permanent than a book.
  • This is more like a grave marker or memorial
(Job 19:25-27 [KJV])
For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
  • Job wants to let the world know about God, the future
    • He knows redemption
    • He knows God is a living God
    • He knows God is coming to earth
    • He knows about the glorified body of all believers
    • He knows he will see the Father
    • He knows it will not just be his emotions, but reality
(Job 19:28 [KJV])
But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me?
  • Job asks the gang to examine themselves, rather than place the blame on an innocent man.
  • The root of the matter is a sinful world, and the three think the only sin lies within Job, not themselves
  • This sin in the world caused this calamity, ultimately.
  • Understanding this world's sin is understanding why Job's plight even happened
(Job 19:29 [KJV])
Be ye afraid of the sword: for wrath bringeth the punishments of the sword, that ye may know there is a judgment.
  • Failure to admit one is a sinner is the first step in avoiding God's wrath.
  • Judgment, wrath are not for believers
  • Job recognizes that his friends are not believers, not saved from wrath
  • They have proven it to him in the last 18 chapters
  • His calamity is not a result of wrath and judgment, since he is a believer and not under wrath
____________________________________
(1 Thessalonians 1:10 [KJV])
And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.
(1 Thessalonians 5:9 [KJV])
For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
(Colossians 3:5-6 [KJV])
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:  For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
(Ephesians 5:3-6 [KJV])
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
(Romans 5:9 [KJV])
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.


Job Chapter 20
(Job 20:1-2 [KJV])
Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said, Therefore do my thoughts cause me to answer, and for this I make haste.
  • After all of this, this man still wants to get in another dig, calling it his "thoughts"
  • In fact, he is in a hurry to chide Job even more
(Job 20:3 [KJV])
I have heard the check of my reproach, and the spirit of my understanding causeth me to answer.
  • He is feeling a little "slighted", as though he suddenly woke up.
CHECK, n.
1. A stop; hindrance; rebuff; sudden restraint, or continued restraint; curb; control; government.
2. That which stops or restrains, as reproof, reprimand, rebuke, slight or disgust, fear, apprehension, a person; any stop or obstruction.
REPROACH, n.
1. Censure mingled with contempt or derision; contumelious or opprobrious language towards any person; abusive reflections; as foul-mouthed reproach.
2. Shame; infamy; disgrace.
Give not thine heritage to reproach. Joel 2. Isa 4.
3. Object of contempt, scorn or derision.
Come, and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we may be no more a reproach. Neh 2.
4. That which is the cause of shame or disgrace. Gen 30.
(Job 20:4-5 [KJV])
Knowest thou not this of old, since man was placed upon earth, That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?
  • Again, he applies wickedness to Job in an indirect way, without saying it
  • Again, a truth taught in Scripture, misapplied
(Job 20:6-7 [KJV])
Though his excellency mount up to the heavens, and his head reach unto the clouds;
Yet he shall perish for ever like his own dung: they which have seen him shall say, Where is he?
  • And even once again, a truth taught in Scripture, misapplied to Job
(Job 20:8 [KJV])
He shall fly away as a dream, and shall not be found: yea, he shall be chased away as a vision of the night.
  • The wicked do suddenly vanish and that from memory also
(Job 20:9 [KJV])
The eye also which saw him shall see him no more; neither shall his place any more behold him.
  • Upon death and burial, that person is gone from sight forever
(Job 20:10 [KJV])
His children shall seek to please the poor, and his hands shall restore their goods.
  • Poverty often awaits the progeny of the wicked upon their death
  • They may even be working under the poor as a legacy or punishment
  • Whatever wickedness done by the father is often returned on the kids as revenge or justice
(Job 20:11 [KJV])
His bones are full of the sin of his youth, which shall lie down with him in the dust.
  • His worthless flesh is sickened from his own lifetime of sin
  • This sickness goes with him to the grave, where it belongs, to be destroyed, eaten of worms
(Job 20:12-14 [KJV])
Though wickedness be sweet in his mouth, though he hide it under his tongue; Though he spare it, and forsake it not; but keep it still within his mouth:  Yet his meat in his bowels is turned, it is the gall of asps within him.
  • The wicked love sin, enjoy it, laugh and smile in it
  • Spare=indulge oneself in it, hence "forsake it not"
  • The enjoyment of his food will eventually poison him, if nothing else
SPARE, v.t. [It See ms to be from the same root as L. parco.]
1. To use frugally; not to be profuse; not to waste. Thou thy Father's thunder did'st not spare/
2. To save or withhold from any particular use or occupation. He has no bread to spare, that is, to withhold from his necessary uses. All the time he could spare from the necessary cares of his weighty charge, he bestowed on prayer and serving of God.
3. To part with without much inconvenience; to do without. I could have better spar'd a better man. Nor can we spare you long-
4. To omit; to forbear. We might have spared this toil and expense; Be pleas'd your politics to spare.
5. To use tenderly; to treat with pity and forbearance; to forbear to afflict, punish or destroy. Spare us, good Lord. dim sadness did not spare celestial visages. But man alone can whom be conquers spare.
6. Not to take when in one's power; to forbear to destroy; as, to spare the life of a prisoner.
7. To grant; to allow; to indulge. Where anger Jove did never spare one breath of kind and temp'rate air.
8. TO forbear to inflict of impose. Spare my sight the pain of See ing what a world of tears it cost you.
SPARE, v.i.
1. TO live frugally; to be parsimonious. Who at some times spend, as other spare, divided between carelessness and care.
2. To forbear; to be scrupulous. To pluck and cat my fill I spar'd not.
3. To be frugal; not to be profuse.
4. To use mercy or forbearance; to forgive to be tender. The king was sparing and compassionate towards hid subjects.
SPARE, a.
1. Scanty; parsimonious; not abundant; as a spare diet. He was spare but discreet of speech. [We more generally use, in the latter application, sparing; as, he was sparing of words.]
2. That can be dispensed with; not wanted; superfluous. I have no spare time on my hands. If that no spare clothes he had to give.
3. Lean; wanting flesh; meager; thin. O give me your spare men and spare me the great ones.
4. Slow. [Not in use.]
SPARE, n. Parsimony; frugal use. [Not in use.]
(Job 20:15 [KJV])
He hath swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again: God shall cast them out of his belly.
  • What Zophar forgets is that Job lost his riches, and nowhere does it say that they were ill-gotten gain, but blessings from God
  • Even the enemy acknowledges this:
_______________________________________
(Job 1:9-10 [KJV])
Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought? Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
_______________________________________
(Job 20:16 [KJV])
He shall suck the poison of asps: the viper's tongue shall slay him.
  • Perhaps this can befall a person..........but a good one as well as a wicked one
______________________________________
(Proverbs 15:3 [KJV])
The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
(Ecclesiastes 2:15 [KJV])
Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
(Ecclesiastes 8:14 [KJV])
There is a vanity which is done upon the earth; that there be just men, unto whom it happeneth according to the work of the wicked; again, there be wicked men, to whom it happeneth according to the work of the righteous: I said that this also is vanity.
_______________________________________
(Job 20:17 [KJV])
He shall not see the rivers, the floods, the brooks of honey and butter.
  • No promised land for Job, according to his "friend"
(Job 20:18 [KJV])
That which he laboured for shall he restore, and shall not swallow it down: according to his substance shall the restitution be, and he shall not rejoice therein.
  • According to Zophar, even if Job is restored materially, he will not enjoy it, Job is so wicked.
  • And, once again Zophar is incorrect!

_______________________________________
(Proverbs 13:11 [KJV])
Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.

(Proverbs 10:22 [KJV])
The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
_______________________________________
(Job 20:19 [KJV])
Because he hath oppressed and hath forsaken the poor; because he hath violently taken away an house which he builded not;
  • IS there any evidence that Job ever did these things?  No
(Job 20:20-21 [KJV])
Surely he shall not feel quietness in his belly, he shall not save of that which he desired. There shall none of his meat be left; therefore shall no man look for his goods.
  • Zophar claims abject hunger for Job, so much that his stomach will growl.
  • Job shall have no spare food, nothing for anyone to covet and steal.
(Job 20:22 [KJV])
In the fulness of his sufficiency he shall be in straits: every hand of the wicked shall come upon him.
  • Zophar claims that even when Job is provided for, he will be in trouble, with people after him.
(Job 20:23 [KJV])
When he is about to fill his belly, God shall cast the fury of his wrath upon him, and shall rain it upon him while he is eating.
  • He is comparing Job to something that happened later on after Egypt
_____________________________________
(Exodus 32:6 [KJV])
And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.
(1Cor 10:7 [KJV])
Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
_____________________________________
(Job 20:24 [KJV])
He shall flee from the iron weapon, and the bow of steel shall strike him through.
  • Out and out weapons of war against Job await him
(Job 20:25 [KJV])
It is drawn, and cometh out of the body; yea, the glittering sword cometh out of his gall: terrors are upon him.
  • According to Zophar, a violent, terrible death awaits Job in battle, by a terrorist act!
(Job 20:26 [KJV])
All darkness shall be hid in his secret places: a fire not blown shall consume him; it shall go ill with him that is left in his tabernacle.
(Job 20:27 [KJV])
The heaven shall reveal his iniquity; and the earth shall rise up against him.
  • Zophar has utterly no concept of salvation
(Job 20:28 [KJV])
The increase of his house shall depart, and his goods shall flow away in the day of his wrath.
  • Job lost his wealth already, and Zophar does not realize why this has already happened.
  • Attributing Job's material losses to wickedness is , well, wicked.
(Job 20:29 [KJV])
This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.
  • True, again, but not applicable to Job, again.
Job Chapter 21
(Job 21:1-3 [KJV])
But Job answered and said, Hear diligently my speech, and let this be your consolations. Suffer me that I may speak; and after that I have spoken, mock on.
  • Job asks them to really, really listen this time.
  • "Let me talk, then go right back to your stupidity" or, "It's break time, then go back to mocking!"
CONSOLATION, n. [L. See Console.]
1. Comfort; alleviation of misery, or distress of mind; refreshment of mind or spirits; a comparative degree of happiness in distress or misfortune, springing from any circumstance that abates the evil, or supports and strengthens the mind, as hope, joy, courage and the like.
Against such cruelties, with inward consolations recompensed.
We have great joy and consolation in thy love. Philemon 7.
2. That which comforts, or refreshes the spirits; the cause of comfort; as the consolation of Israel.
Luke 2.
(Job 21:4 [KJV])
As for me, is my complaint to man? and if it were so, why should not my spirit be troubled?
  • They have not noticed that Job has talked mostly to God, not them
  • Even if he had complained to man, he says, look at what he has had to  endure!
  • They have further proven to him that there is no use in complaining to man, since they blame him for all of this happening to him!
(Job 21:5 [KJV])
Mark me, and be astonished, and lay your hand upon your mouth.
  • My condition is shock and awe, don't you see that?
(Job 21:6 [KJV])
Even when I remember I am afraid, and trembling taketh hold on my flesh.
  • Thinking about and concentrating on Job's own condition would make anyone tremble
  • Job lives in constant terror that this may not be over with, and they seem to confirm it.
(Job 21:7 [KJV])
Wherefore do the wicked live, become old, yea, are mighty in power?
  • Job is about to tear apart their theory on the wicked being him
(Job 21:8 [KJV])
Their seed is established in their sight with them, and their offspring before their eyes.
  • The progeny of the wicked are blessed also
(Job 21:9 [KJV])
Their houses are safe from fear, neither is the rod of God upon them.
  • Visibly, physically (where the Three Stooges really only see), all is fine with the wicked
  • Safe and secure in this life, seemingly untouched by God
  • This is nearly the case most of the time, except those who abuse their bodies with drugs and reckless living.
(Job 21:10 [KJV])
Their bull gendereth, and faileth not; their cow calveth, and casteth not her calf.
  • Their industry prospers, whatever they touch turns to gold

(Job 21:11 [KJV])
They send forth their little ones like a flock, and their children dance.
  • Life is always a party for the wicked in this life
  • Contrast that to Jesus
_________________________________
(Isaiah 53:3 [KJV])
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

(Hebrews 12:2 [KJV])
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
_________________________________
  • Compare that to Christians
(Matthew 25:21 [KJV])
His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
(Matthew 25:23 [KJV])
His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
(Matthew 28:8 [KJV])
And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
(Luke 1:14 [KJV])
And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
(Luke 2:10 [KJV])
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
(Luke 6:23 [KJV])
Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
(Luke 24:52 [KJV])
And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
(John 15:11 [KJV])
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
(John 16:20 [KJV])
Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
(John 16:21 [KJV])
A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.
(John 16:22 [KJV])
And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.
(John 16:24 [KJV])
Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
(John 17:13 [KJV])
And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
(Acts 2:28 [KJV])
Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
(Acts 8:8 [KJV])
And there was great joy in that city.
(Acts 13:52 [KJV])
And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.
(Acts 15:3 [KJV])
And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.
(Acts 20:24 [KJV])
But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
(Romans 5:11 [KJV])
And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
(Romans 14:17 [KJV])
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
(Romans 15:13 [KJV])
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
(Romans 15:32 [KJV])
That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed.
(2 Corinthians 1:24 [KJV])
Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.
(2 Corinthians 2:3 [KJV])
And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
(2 Corinthians 7:4 [KJV])
Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.
(2 Corinthians 7:13 [KJV])
Therefore we were comforted in your comfort: yea, and exceedingly the more joyed we for the joy of Titus, because his spirit was refreshed by you all.
(2 Corinthians 8:2 [KJV])
How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
(Galatians 5:22 [KJV])
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
(Philippians 1:4 [KJV])
Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,
(Philippians 1:25 [KJV])
And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;
(Philippians 2:2 [KJV])
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
(Philippians 2:17 [KJV])
Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.
(Philippians 2:18 [KJV])
For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me.
(Philippians 4:1 [KJV])
Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.
(Colossians 1:11 [KJV])
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
(Colossians 2:5 [KJV])
For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.
(1 Thessalonians 1:6 [KJV])
And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:
(1 Thessalonians 2:19 [KJV])
For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
(1 Thessalonians 2:20 [KJV])
For ye are our glory and joy.
(1 Thessalonians 3:9 [KJV])
For what thanks can we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God;
(1 Timothy 6:17 [KJV])
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
(2 Timothy 1:4 [KJV])
Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy;
(Philemon 1:7 [KJV])
For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.
(Phllemon 1:20 [KJV])
Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord.
(Hebrews 10:34 [KJV])
For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
(Hebrews 11:25 [KJV])
Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

(Hebrews 13:17 [KJV])
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
(James 1:2 [KJV])
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

(1 Peter 1:8 [KJV])
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
(1 Peter 4:13 [KJV])
But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
(1 John 1:4 [KJV])
And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
(2 John 1:12 [KJV])
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.
(3 John 1:4 [KJV])
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
(Jude 1:24 [KJV])
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
_______________________________
(Job 21:12 [KJV])
They take the timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ.
  • Music, dancing, joy.  Nothing the world loves more.

TIM'BRELn. [L. tympanum.] An instrument of music; a kind of drum, tabor or tabret,which has been in use from the highest antiquity.
And Miriam took a timbrel in her hand--and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances. Exo 15.
OR'GAN, n. [L. organum; Gr.]
1. A natural instrument of action or operation, or by which some process is carried on. Thus the arteries and veins of animal bodies are organs of circulation; the lungs are organs of respiration; the nerves are organs of perception and sensation; the muscles are organs of motion; the ears are organs of hearing; the tongue is the organ of speech.
2. The instrument or means of conveyance or communication. A secretary of state is the organ of communication between the government and a foreign power.
3. The largest and most harmonious of wind instruments of music, consisting of pipes which are filled with wind, and stops touched by the fingers. It is blown by a bellows.
(Job 21:13 [KJV])
They spend their days in wealth, and in a moment go down to the grave.
  • Nothing to add to this.
(Job 21:14-15 [KJV])
Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways.
What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?
  • The U.S. reflects this now very well
  • But, in a moment..........
__________________________________
(1 Thessalonians 5:2 [KJV])
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
(1 Thessalonians 5:3 [KJV])
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
__________________________________
(Job 21:16 [KJV])
Lo, their good is not in their hand: the counsel of the wicked is far from me.
  • With all of their trappings, Job sees their end and is not attracted to them
__________________________________
Job 22:18  (KJV)
Yet he filled their houses with good things: but the counsel of the wicked is far from me.
__________________________________

(Job 21:17 [KJV])
How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and how oft cometh their destruction upon them! God distributeth sorrows in his anger.
  • Death happens daily to the rich as well as the poor
  • God is not pleased with most of the rich people
____________________________________
(James 5:1 [KJV])
Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
(Luke 6:24-25 [KJV])
But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.  Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
____________________________________
(Job 21:18 [KJV])
They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away.
  • Stubble and chaff are gone in any wind. Not to mention any storm
  • Stubble and chaff are the worthless parts of the grain
(Job 21:19 [KJV])
God layeth up his iniquity for his children: he rewardeth him, and he shall know it.
  • Sin is not something people do not know about, nor know that they ar doing.
(Exodus 20:5 [KJV])
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
(Job 21:20 [KJV])
His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty.
  • Personally witnessing your own destruction is not a nice thing.
  • Not to mention the cup of God's wrath.
(Job 21:21 [KJV])
For what pleasure hath he in his house after him, when the number of his months is cut off in the midst?
  • All of one's life, even with a silver spoon in their mouth, is not worth it once they die-no matter how old or how young
  • The implication is........"no pleasure"
(Job 21:22 [KJV])
Shall any teach God knowledge? seeing he judgeth those that are high.
  • The very idea of being able to teach God knowledge or wisdom is insanity at best; the worst kind of pride at worst.
(Job 21:23 [KJV])
One dieth in his full strength, being wholly at ease and quiet.
  • This indicates that this person is in the prime of their life
  • They die when there is nothing traumatic going on in their life also
(Job 21:24 [KJV])
His breasts are full of milk, and his bones are moistened with marrow.
  • Men actually can breastfeed, and it has been documented many times, past and present
  • This indicates that the person dies as a recent father
(Job 21:25 [KJV])
And another dieth in the bitterness of his soul, and never eateth with pleasure.
  • This is a person who has not enjoyed life, is perhaps now old and poor-then dies in this state
(Job 21:26 [KJV])
They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them.
  • No matter the lot, the destination in the earthly realm is the same-worm food.
(Ecclesiastes 9:2 [KJV])
All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.
(Ecclesiastes 3:19-20 [KJV])
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.  All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
(Ecclesiastes 2:15 [KJV])
Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
(Ecclesiastes 8:14 [KJV])
There is a vanity which is done upon the earth; that there be just men, unto whom it happeneth according to the work of the wicked; again, there be wicked men, to whom it happeneth according to the work of the righteous: I said that this also is vanity.
(Job 21:27 [KJV])
Behold, I know your thoughts, and the devices which ye wrongfully imagine against me.
  • They have revealed their hand so much to Job that it takes no time to know they mean evil for Job
  • This is because they think evil OF Job
(Job 21:28 [KJV])
For ye say, Where is the house of the prince? and where are the dwelling places of the wicked?
  • Job exposes their mocking to them
  • They are in reality saying, "Un huh.  So where are prince's houses? Where are the wicked's houses? And where is YOUR house, Job?"
(Job 21:29 [KJV])
Have ye not asked them that go by the way? and do ye not know their tokens,
  • He further points out that they have memorials for both so they know where each is

TOKEN, n. to'kn. [L. signum, dialetically varied, or from the same radix.]
1. A sign; something intended to represent or indicate another thing or an event. Thus the rainbow is a token of God's covenant established with Noah. The blood of the paschal lamb, sprinkled on the doors of the Hebrews, was a token to the destroying angel of God's will that he should pass by those houses. Gen 9. Exo 12.
Show me a token for good. Psa 86.
2. A mark. In pestilential diseases, tokens are livid spots upon the body, which indicate the approach of death.
3. A memorial of friendship; something by which the friendship of another person is to be kept in mind.
4. In coinage, tokens were coins struck in the reign of Elizabeth in the cities of Bristol, Oxford and Worcester, and also by private persons, which were put into circulation, and upon being returned, the  issuer gave the value of them in current money.
5. In printing, ten quires of paper; an extra quire is usually added to every other token, when counted out for the press.
TO'KEN, v.t. To make known. [Not in use.]

(Job 21:30 [KJV])
That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.
  • The token of the wicked and rich is that they have a future judgment, so this life is meaningless
  • The argument of his friends on the security of the wealthy and "righteous" is shown to be meaningless
(Job 21:31 [KJV])
Who shall declare his way to his face? and who shall repay him what he hath done?
  • Do they know this judge of the wicked and the princes?  Job shows them they do not even know to whom all are accountable
(Job 21:32 [KJV])
Yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.
  • The death rate is one per person, and no one gets out alive.
  • Everyone will be dead (in the earthly realm) for along time
(Job 21:33 [KJV])
The clods of the valley shall be sweet unto him, and every man shall draw after him, as there are innumerable before him.
  • People love to flock to dirt, stones and bones-memorials of the dead to pay respects
  • Job is pointing out to his "friends" how that does nothing for their true estate of death after life or life after life.
(Job 21:34 [KJV])
How then comfort ye me in vain, seeing in your answers there remaineth falsehood?
  • The idea that they can comfort Job in this manner they have used the last few days, weeks or months shows their willful blindness